Teens Unite Fighting Cancer

Teens Unite Fighting Cancer is dedicated to improving the lives of young people aged between 13-24 with cancer and life limiting illnesses.

Tuesday 28 June 2016

You become who you are in 5 years, based on what you fill your mind with today


Teen Azreen Deen talks about 'Discover You'
 
"Cancer treatment can leave you in a bit of an awkward place. Especially if you're just at the start of your life expecting to move onto bigger and better things just like everyone your age, but instead, life throws you a HUGE curveball and over the year or two... or three in which you’re busy fighting for your life, you almost forget who you are, what you want to be, where you want to go.
 
In my case, I was ready to go into childcare, I had tons of experience under my belt and I hadn’t even begun yet, but 14 chemo cycles, 6 weeks of radiotherapy, two surgeries and a stem cell transplant later I've found myself lost. What I wanted to do is no longer what I want to do. But what do I want to do now? I have no idea. Such is the case for many young people diagnosed with cancer. We find ourselves re-thinking everything, our likes, dislikes our dreams and aspirations, who our friends are, the kind of person we want to be; there’ll be some of us that become even more determined to get back on the path they were on before someone hit the railway switch
 
It was especially difficult seeing my school friends celebrate their degrees and prepare for graduation while I was still stuck 10 paces behind. Even if I did know what I want to do with myself, I don't know how I would have found the motivation. It’s difficult to know when you’re ready to go back to work, or studying. It’s often difficult to even find the motivation to BE motivated. But that was all before the 25th June. The "Discover You" event organised by Teens Unite was hands down the most amazing, lifting and soul inspiring event that I have been to. A commendable line up of speakers and a well organised day with a great lunch added up to an overall incredible day!
 
I was motivated to find the motivation to find myself again.
 
As Chris Lambert said "you are your greatest investment". Chris Lambert, a fellow cancer survivor, now the owner of three 6-figure businesses. I asked myself, if he can do it, if he could find himself after being turned upside down and shaken by cancer at 16 … then what’s stopping me?
 
WE ARE WHAT WE REPEATEDLY DO.
 
We cannot wake up one day and expect to be fit and ready to go back to work, to put cancer behind us and to go back to "normal". It’s a process. We start with a penny, double that penny every day, keep doubling it and by the end of the month, you’re a millionaire. Such is the process of self-healing. You start with a little positive thinking, you stay consistent, you increase on the positive behaviour and each day you’ll come out as a better version of yourself and eventually, you’ll look back and see the development you’ve made and realise it all started with a small penny, a little bit of positivity.
 
I don’t know about you but, I’m more than ready to turn a penny into a million pounds.
 
I am inspired to invest in myself. Make a dream board, find things that I find positive about me, realise that everything is okay and SHINE.
 
I’d like to thank Teens Unite for putting together such an amazing day, the speakers who were so engaging, friendly, and moving, and the volunteers who all helped the day run smoothly.
 
I’d like to end on a quote that has been stuck in my mind since the event;
 
"You become who you are in 5 years, based on what you fill your mind with today""
 
 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Teens Unite Fighting Cancer | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig